Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pointless Fun Facts

You know how when you're reading something ridiculously boring and the author randomly throws in something that is actually entertaining in the hopes of catching the reader before they fall completely asleep?

Okay, okay, it's a rare phenomena, but when it happens, it's nice.

Like today, for example, I was reading my Roman textbook and came across a line that insisted "asses" were a Roman monetary unit. So something like, say, the Roman treasury, would have am"assed" millions of asses at any given time. *giggles in corner* Needless to say, that helped me finish my reading.


And you thought I'd disappoint you with a picture of coins. Never. {via}


Also, 300 million years ago, there used to be dragonflies so big that their wings were about the size of your arm. Yeah. And dragonflies are super badass predators that can lock onto prey like Army drones. Mmhmm. Have fun with your nightmares!

On a lighter note, the scientific term for tomatoes is "Solanum lycopersicum", which literally means "wolf peach". I mean. That's kind of perfect.

Just some of the weird, pointless facts I've learned this week that keep things upbeat. Carry on with your lives :)

With love,
Laney

No comments:

Post a Comment