Thursday, December 26, 2013

My Top Ten YouTube Poems

Andrea Gibson (2013)


So to be honest, I had really no clue what spoken word poetry was before starting school in August. But long story short, after attending the first open mic and slam hosted by UNC Chapel Hill's own Wordsmiths, I was hooked. My suitemate and I spent the next month obsessively looking up poetry on YouTube. This post is here to introduce you lovely people to some of my favorite videos (or to remind those who know what I'm talking about of some really great poetry).

DISCLAIMER: You could be the most avid hater of poetry in the universe, and you will likely still enjoy some of these pieces. If anything, give just one of them a try. You won't be disappointed :)

In any event, I personally like to write about love, so I gravitate most toward these poems, which cover love in almost every form you could imagine. Enjoy!


10. An Origin Story- Sarah Kay and Phil Kaye (Love for your friends)


Sarah and Phil are not brother and sister, but they DO have a crap ton of insane things in common, and this is an expertly written piece about their one-in-a-million friendship. Guaranteed to make you smile and thank the universe for your best friend.


9. OCD- Neil Hilborn (Love that heals)


This is an honest poem about how powerful it is when someone loves everything about you, even the things you hate most, and the heartbreak of losing love like that. You don't have to struggle with compulsion and anxiety for this one to stay with you for a long time.


8. What Teachers Make- Taylor Mali (Love for what you do)


Taylor's repertoire is full of poems about his experience as a teacher, and all I can say is thank goodness for teachers like him. This poem starts off angry and explodes into a genius defense of an underrated profession. This is for everyone who works for the greater good, regardless of the pay grade.


7. When God Happens- Mike Rosen (Love for humanity)


Few poems give me chills like this one does. Mike's trembling account of September 11th manages to explain how God is found not in power clashes but in the love that abounds when humans face disaster. I'm not religious, but somehow this rings true anyway. Most definitely worth hitting play.


6. Love Poem- Rudy Francisco (Love for your lover)


Rudy may be one of the best love poets of all time. This entire poem is for one woman and is full of some of the sweetest, softest, sexiest metaphors I've ever heard. Perfect if you believe in love at first sight, or if you'd really like to.


5. The Last Poem I'll Ever Write- Andrea Gibson (Love for life and the people you spend it with)


If you want something wistful but real, listen to this. Andrea is my favorite poet and this particular piece is something I think about all the time. If a poem could be a bird, this one would be. It takes flight from  her soul. Please watch for yourself :)


4. A Letter to Sarah- Jared Singer (Love for what you've lost)


If you're up for a four minute heartbreak, watch this. Jared's story of his friend's suicide is a raw and terrifying reveal of what strength really is. I apologize in advance for the tears.


3. If I Should Have A Daughter- Sarah Kay (Love for your children)


I could not have come up with a better promise for my possible future daughter if I had tried. Sarah could weave words into blankets for all the ways her poetry keeps you warm. Honestly, check this out and have a smile :)


2. The Nutritionist/The Madness Vase- Andrea Gibson (Love for yourself)


Forget therapy and drugs for depression and watch this. Not literally, but this poem will certainly help. The comments on this video are full of "this saved me" and "she saves my life every day". As someone who struggled with suicidal thoughts herself, Andrea has a unique perspective that offers hope in the face of terrible times. Not to mention that every phrase is a unique token of beauty, as is true with all of her poetry.


1. Scratch and Dent Dreams- Eric Darby (Love that builds everything back up)


This was one of the first poems I found online, and no one writes hope better than this man. I've never heard anyone make a metaphor so solid and tangible, but he does, so if you're ever looking to brighten your day (or life; honestly this brightened mine) have a listen. Here's hoping all of your scratch and dent dreams get enough duct tape to live again.



So there you have it! Some of my favorite poetry and poets. I hope you enjoyed and got a few laughs and tears out along the way.

Happy Holidays and lots of love,
Laney

No comments:

Post a Comment