Sunday, December 29, 2013

A Letter to Disney

So I have a depressing New Years resolution for 2014. Here goes.



Dear Disney,

Since I can remember, I have loved your movies. I have been your biggest fan. Heck, I have more Mickey and Winnie the Pooh merchandise than I know what to do with. But here's the deal. You, as a major international corporation with serious clout in the entertainment multiverse and incredible influence over children all over the world . . .

. . . have been a massive disappointment. Yes. You have. Don't look at me like that, you know exactly what I'm talking about. This isn't 1930 anymore, ya'll, and yet every movie is the same stick-thin cookie-cutter white chick falling in love with some hunky dude.

And I know, I know. The Princess and the Frog was supposed to be culturally diverse. The whole frogs-for-85%-of-the-film thing made that extremely difficult to notice. And Frozen? Okay sure, its not about the guy. It's about family and feminism. So why did you replace the majority of female characters from the original fairy tale ("The Snow Queen") with men? White men, mind you. And this 'feminism' is being hailed as a step up. It's not good enough, damn it! It's not good enough!

Look. You have a team of expert animators, story writers, musicians, actors/actresses, and advertising/merchandising resources at your disposal. So why, why haven't you created something that might actually reflect the world you create for? I don't get it. Are we supposed to believe that diversity is somehow harmful to children? More harmful than, say, the line "I had almost forgotten how to slit a throat" from Peter Pan, or the rapacious "Hellfire" song from The Hunchback of Notre Dame, or the word SEX spelled out in dust during Lion King? I could go on.

So here's my deal. I won't be watching any more of your new animated 'classics' until you give me something good enough. I want diverse casts. Women with real bodies. Culture. Honesty. Come on, Disney. You can do so much better.

And don't think you can get away with animals next time. Not unless those two boy wolves are in love.

Try out something real for a change, and I'll be back with open arms. See you when you catch up to the 21st century.

With love,
The child that you disappointed

-Laney

No comments:

Post a Comment